Renovation Contractor Works on Private vs Public Homes in Singapore
It’s not uncommon for homeowners to want to remodel their properties and there are many reasons why one of these types of projects can be beneficial. With this in mind, it’s worth noting that there are often quite a few things that need to be taken into consideration before tackling house renovations in Singapore.
For example, the difference between HDB and private homes is often important, but there are also things like finding the ideal renovation contractor – as this is something that’s vital to essentially any successful remodelling project on a Singapore home.
Finding out everything you need to know beforehand
The process of remodelling can more or less be the same for any individual, in the sense that the whole point of these kinds of projects is to alter the residence in some way. It’s worthwhile to note that the types of improvements (and the rules and regulations that come with them) can greatly vary from one person to another, but even more so between HDB flat and private property owners.
It’s also wise to consider the effects of the pandemic too, since COVID-19 has had quite a large impact on the world around us – with more than a few changes to renovating and buying homes coming into effect in Singapore. There were even a few months where individuals weren’t able to undertake renovation projects, but restrictions were relaxed on the 15th of June.
Things to keep in mind before renovating an HDB residence:
- There are specific requirements for building works in Singapore to ensure that the structural integrity of the flat isn’t compromised
- Guidelines relating to water, electric, plumbing and gasworks are all vital for the safety of everyone in the building and are often best handled by an expert
- Any window works need to be handled by contractors approved by the Building and Construction Authority
- There may be different guidelines for remodelling projects of BTO and DBSS flats
When it comes to private properties in Singapore, there are a number of similarities in the requirements. For example, window safety and maintenance, electrical work and gas services are all still important components that need to be carefully considered. In most cases, this is different because the house isn’t part of a larger structure and therefore there’s less risk of the renovation affecting other people.
It is worth noting that there are still guidelines in place, so be sure to do your research on Singapore’s regulations in specific before you make a start on remodelling.
Reasons why you need a professional renovation contractor
Once you have a better understanding of everything that needs to be done, it might be worth searching for someone who can help with your home improvement project in Singapore. This is where a renovation contractor can come in handy. Here are just a few of the reasons why it’s often a wise idea to hire the assistance of a professional, rather than trying to handle everything yourself:
- Permits – Having an understanding of the cost and implications of building permits that will need to be adhered to is something that is invaluable for most projects
- A network of contacts – Most will have a variety of trade connections, which could result in discounts on some aspects of your remodel
- Technical expertise – Any renovations involving plumbing, gas and electrics will legally require a licensed contractor in Singapore, as it’s unsafe for an inexperienced and unqualified individual to carry them out
- Contracts, insurance and warranties – Liability coverage and insurance for worker’s compensation are both vital aspects, and a professional contractor will understand this and have all the necessary cover
With all this and more, it’s not hard to see why finding the best renovation contractor can be crucial to most individuals planning a home improvement project in Singapore. From their expertise in remodelling (which is both important for safety reasons and the end result of the renovation), to legal requirements; both private and HDB homeowners should look to find the ideal one for their needs.
WHY YOU NEED TO FIND THE RIGHT RENOVATION CONTRACTOR FOR YOUR PROJECT
One of the most important aspects of hiring a renovation contractor in Singapore is ensuring that you choose the right one for your personal needs. With quite a few different individuals out there who could help you (as well as many who may not be ideal), it’s often essential to put in the time and effort to find the right contractor.
So many homeowners, both in Singapore and other parts of the world, choose to cut corners when selecting a contractor, whether it’s to save time, effort, or money. The only issue with this is that you get what you pay for – meaning that many of those who don’t correctly invest or put in the right level of dedication to find the right contractor will end up regretting this decision later on.
Those who are planning on renovating their property should always aim to get the best service possible, purely due to the nature of these types of projects. Often, remodelling a house isn’t a small or simple task, which is why hiring an expert can be all the more important (especially for those who don’t have much renovation experience).
Fortunately, it doesn’t always have to be a complicated task. To give you a helping hand, we’ve put together a list of 19 tips that could help you through the process.
- Have a clear idea of what you want/need from your home renovation (and consider which types of specialists will be best for which jobs)
- The internet may be your most useful tool during your search, so make the most of it to help you out
- Take a look at which contractors are in or around your area (since this could save both time and money)
- While finding services that suit your budget are important, don’t overlook other factors, like experience and credentials
- Always aim to find a professional to work with and don’t bother with less than ideal contractors, regardless of how attractive cheaper services may seem
- Make sure you get a variety of different estimates, even if many people suggest to get 3 (since there’s no reason to limit yourself)
- Spend some time reading through reviews on different contractors to get a better idea of what they have to offer
- Look at their past jobs/projects to see exactly what they’re capable of achieving, and decide if the results are what you’re after for your own home remodelling project
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions or request proof of experience, qualifications, etc. Typically, a genuine contractor will be more than happy to oblige
- Similar to the point above, you need to find out about their licensing, insurance and permits to ensure that your project will be legal and financially sound should something go wrong
- As the old saying goes; go with your gut. If something seems off, it may be worth continuing your search
- Contractors should check in on the project regularly, or at least have an employee to examine the progress and answer any queries you may have
- Additionally, a contractor should assign a renovation supervisor to the job, so that you have a point of contact if you need any information
- In any situation, you need to get every detail of your renovation project in writing. A good contractor should offer a comprehensive and clear outline of every job on the list (and its price/materials)
- Home remodels can often be pricey investments, which is why you should know exactly how much you’re paying, when payments are due and what each one is for
- Find out who will be taking care of the project (for example, some contractors do the work themselves, while others outsource the job to a subcontractor)
- Even if you don’t understand the finer details of different materials, your contractor should, so be sure to ask about what types of materials are being used and why
- It’s the contractor’s job to ensure that the project is completed to your satisfaction, so asking about how they handle customer concerns and complaints can be essential
- Lastly, consider what-ifs. Make sure that you’re prepared for any unexpected issues with the project that may crop up
With these tips, you’ll be well on your way to finding the best contractor Singapore has to offer. While it may seem like a lot to consider, each of these factors are important and can be easy to follow (and for the most part, you should be doing them anyway). Often, finding the best contractor in Singapore doesn’t have to be too much of a challenge. If you take the time to do your research, you’re likely to find the perfect expert to get your project done right.
Remember that remodelling a property, whether it’s a private or HDB home, is often a big project and that it should be handled with care. This relies on everyone involved; the contractor, the construction team and of course, yourself. However, you are the one who sets everything in motion and chooses the team who will carry it out – which is why cutting corners isn’t the best idea in the long run.
With time, effort and knowledge comes great results – and we’re sure that you’ll agree that your property is worth it.
Often, finding the best contractor in Singapore doesn’t have to be too much of a challenge. If you take the time to do your research, you’re likely to find the perfect expert to help you out.
Get Started With A Renovation Contractor, Speak With Expert Renovation Contractors Now By Detailing Your Goals In The Form Below: